Saturday, February 09, 2008

Family gatherings a blessing?

We have been enjoying a festive season in Asia in the past few days. The Lunar New Year is a time for families and friends to get together not just for ethnic Chinese families but for other ethnic races too, especially here in Singapore.

Gathering together with families is not always easy for many people. Amidst the celebrations, inevitably there will be buttons pushed and emotional reactions from family members. Every year I observe this common phenomena within my own family and amongst relatives. The bigger the celebration, the more buttons will be pushed, the louder the voices as each person is trying to prove the other person wrong, and themselves right. These arguments do not just end there, gossips about the 'fight' will go on until the next family gathering.

It is so true that the people closest to us are our greatest teachers. For they reflect to us that which we need to heal within ourselves, and tests on so many levels are being dished out. At the end of it all, it is just the ego's game that is being played. Or rather we have all played into the ego's game.

As I observed the arguments or 'discussions' as they would like to call it, I noticed the body language, the veins popping up on their necks, their eyes fiery with irritation/frustration/anger, their loud poisonous words, their distorted facial expressions, I think to myself the negative ego sure has an ability to make everything look un-beautiful. I think sometimes people fall sick from festive celebrations not just because of over eating but really because of getting their buttons pushed and manifesting these less than harmonious rhythm within their physical & etheric/emotional/mental bodies. This is why I am not surprised that many people shun away from family gatherings during the festive season.

Despite all of these, I do see the good in family gatherings and festive celebrations. It allows us to celebrate our similarities, and our common goal to strive for harmony, peace and love. Despite all the arguments and ego fights, deep down within everyone there is a desire to want to belong, a desire to find common grounds.

The best thing about family gatherings is the opportunities it gives us to transcend the negative ego, the opportunities to move beyond getting our buttons pushed. To practice being magnanimous. And the opportunity to be the better example.

I look forward to the next festive celebration with my family and relatives because I know that achieving true harmony with our fellow human beings take tremendous amount of work. And the work really begins with self first.

Our family is truly our master teacher. And I am not giving up on my family!

No comments: