Monday, December 03, 2007

Personal Achievement


I am thrilled to have completed the 42.195km! I was running at a good pace and feeling strong and was all geared up to finish the race in 4 hours 35mins. BUT around the half way mark, muscle cramps made it impossible to run effectively. I had to walk and run in intervals as the cramps came back on every now and then.

With all the training I got from spiritual psychology, the most important thing I have learned is not to be attached to results. And this is exactly what provided me with the good headspace despite the pain and cramps. Even though I didn't complete the race in the time I was trained for, I am equally thrilled to have even completed the race in 5 hours 35mins!

Other runners who did the 10km and 21km asked me if I would discourage them from doing the full marathon, my answer is no. It is something that every runner should try once in their lives for it provides more of a psychological training than a physical one.

With all the months of physical training, it all comes down to race day. And there are many things that are beyond our control on the day itself. So one's mind must be prepared for anything really.

Ultimately, this is a race to compete with self. I am glad I did it!

No comments: